Simulton Community
lucblender

Pre-defined workspace

Hello simulteam,

So yesterday I did download simulton, and yeah, I did struggle a bit to create a workspace dedicated to process. I think you should provide pre-defined workspace for process, coding, etc... Especially a pre-defined workspace for process since you now spotlight this part of the software!

Hi!

I assume you would be looking for an experience similar to Eclipse where you fire it up and have some sort of default "editor" view and then you can switch to a debug view? Same here just for coding & process development?

In order for us to better understand it would be nice if you could elaborate a bit on the having struggled part. Is it simply lack of documentation? Is the concept by itself poorly chosen? Is it simply cumbersome because of the UI? Is the struggling mainly coming from the fact that a new user has to open & arrange windows that are simply unknown at that point?

I mostly have this idea because of Blender whose give pre defined UI for modelling, sculpting, image processing etc, but still give you the posibility to create new one and to modify the already existing one. Following the Blender model would be really great. 

For the struggling part it's mostly that now simulton want to define itself mostly by its block functionallity. A user not knowing its past as elixpad hope to download an software to works with blocks now. And what happen when your first open it? It opens with a blank file window. Some user will probably think "Where are the blocks?". There is two kinds of user, those who gonna go to documentation and the others that don't look documentation and just want a software to work as soon as downloaded and those are probably the majority. 

@Alex We got also feedback form alex regarding the same topic. 

I am not a very heavy Blender user but as far as I can tell they take a similar approach as Adobe with their Creative Suite Software.

Maybe it would be a good option to have a default-workspace per plugin. Do you think that would help for new users to get familiar with the software?

image.png

Exaclty what I had in mind! Would clearly help new users to not get lost too long on the default blank file.

Providing predefined workspaces is definitely doable. We'll get to that shortly.

In the meantime we're working on an update of the ribbon UI: The Workspace page is now renamed to View. The perspectives received a nice icon and the Window -> Always on top which used to reside on the right side of the ribbon has been moved into that new View page as well. Screenshot below.

We're also working on having different icons for the workspace new/open/save/close buttons to minimize confusion with the similar buttons of the File ribbon page.

What do you think?

image.thumb.png.c655cad8691ff02e7f8cab06816df2e9.png

It's definitely more user friendly, the old save and load perspective were a bit sad.

Regrouping the always on top and perspective under window also make sense. Maybe keeping the plural for perspectives is better?

5 hours ago, tct said:

What do you think?

Yeah, I also think it's better like that. 

Maybe I would also consider to have some sort of placeholder. Look at @thoeby's screenshot...this Adobe-Software has this gray area as long as you don't have any documents opened. This could also a good thing for the default workspaces. 

Alright, we have spend some time to revise this. What we did:

• "Workspaces" are renamed to "Projects"
  • "Perspectives" are renamed to "Workspaces"
  • The File, Workspace and View ribbon pages have been merged into the Home ribbon page

What do you think?

image.thumb.png.3e575c140aa813377cf34d19fcc2ee5a.png

It looks really good. Maybe the "projects" appellation can be confusing. To me, first thing I think when I see "project" and some save/open buttons would be files regrouped in a project. (Saving all the files, oppening a folder as a project ) Maybe having it called "View" could be good?

Uhm, I am not sure but I think that our projects do exactly what you want / expect. A project is defined by a project file (just like in Keil, Inventor, ...). That project file contains all the information of which files are open, how the different docks are arranged, variable values, last used paths and so on. This includes the "view" part.

So about the first idea of this thread "Pre-defined workspace", how will it be applied to projects? Does that mean there will be pre-define project with blank files?

In my point of view it would make sense to have pre-defined "perspectives" (aka workspaces)...since it is changing the user interface (not the "content"). This is basiclly also why we changed the naming - despite the fact that it will be impossible to find a naming schema which will fit all peoples habits.